For an easy to put together St. Patrick’s Day activity, try this shaving cream sensory coin dig! The kids had fun digging with their hands to find the leprechaun gold. Be warned – this is definitely not a mess free activity! But I do share cleaning tips below to help you out! (For a mess-free activity, print our St. Patrick’s Day I Spy game!)
Make Your Gold Coin Dig
- Shaving cream
- 3-4 drops green food coloring
- green glitter
- Gold coins
- Clear dish
- Paper towels (just to have handy)
Fill a clear dish (we used a big glass bowl) about 3/4 of the way with shaving cream, and add 3-4 drops of green food coloring. Shake in some glitter, and stir! Stir in the gold coins (we got ours from the dollar store). I added some more glitter to the top. Then set it out for a sensory coin dig!
This time my kids were happy to dig through with their hands, but sometimes they want to ease into the touch of shaving cream. For that, I simply give them spoons!
- Have the paper towels and a bowl of water nearby. I used both during the activity, because at various points my kids wanted their hands cleaned. Also, my toddler kept touching his face, and I wanted to wipe it off right away. It also definitely helped to have paper towels and water after!
- I put the kids in smocks and old clothes – although the green did wash out from both their clothes and their hands (and their hair!). It will probably depend on how much food coloring you use and what type! You could also try this using washable green paint.
- I’d also recommend putting down a drop cloth (maybe next I’ll actually use one!).