You need simple play ideas for your toddler. Something you can put together easily. Something that won’t make a huge mess. And, of course, something that your toddler will love playing with.
Pompoms are what you’re looking for. This craft supply doubles as an awesome play idea.
Stock up on pompoms
Need some to start playing? These affiliate links are fun ones:
Once you’re all set with pompoms, get ready to play! Below are many of our favorite simple, fun play ideas – with little setup or cleanup, and using things you likely already have!
Remember you know your child best, and to watch them carefully when playing with small objects.
Pompom Activities for Fine Motor
Pompoms are perfect little fingers to grab and pinch! It seems simple, but these are all fun ideas to get those finger muscles grasping and work on visual discrimination.
- Scoop and Transfer from Buggy and Buddy
- Pompom and play dough creatures from Kids Activities Blog
- Sticky Window from No Time For Flashcard
- Velcro and Pompom Play from Teach Me Mommy
- Basket Push from Learn With Play at Home
- Bath Toy Pompom Fine Motor Activity from Powerful Mothering
Our favorite is DIY touch and feel sensory hearts using pompoms. I just want to reach out and pet them! Also try our pompom blow game and our pompom sensory bottles (one inspired by the Lorax) and toss pompoms into cups in our cup color sorting game! More games to try:
- Surprise! game from Toddler Approved
- Pompom Game on the Stairs from Hands On: As We Grow
- Pompom Toss from Toddler Approved
- Bunny Tail Color Matching from Two-daloo
- Colored Pompom Game from The Homes I Have Made
- Tissue Box Fill and Spill Game from Crafting Play
- Pompom Egg Shakers Experiment from Fun at Home With Kids
More visual discrimination fun! Our simple color sorting game is a great place to start.
- Drop and Shoot from The Imagination Tree
- Color Sorting from The Pleasantest Thing
- Pompom Box Drop from I Can Teach My Child
- Sensory Bin with Pompoms from Plain Vanilla Mom
- Color Drop and Sort from Princesses, Pies, & Preschool Pizzazz
- Dark and Light Patterns from Playing House in Maryland
- Color and Size Sorting from De Tout et de Rien
Pompom Pretend Play
Pompom Painting & Crafts
- Paint with Pompoms from Mum of One
- Shake Pompoms and Paint from What Do We Do All Day
- Pompom Stamping from CraftoArt
- Q-Tip and Pompom Spider from Make and Takes
- Make a Pompom Wreath from Red Ted Art
- Butterfly Craft with Pompoms from Healthy Mama Info
- Heart Pompom Craft from Country Fit Family
- Pompom Spider from Happy Hooligans
- Easy Pompom Paperplate Wreath from The Pleasantest Thing
Play Ideas for Toddlers
For even more great toddler and baby play ideas, check out Zero to Two: the book of play. It includes 25 step-by-step tutorials with pictures, as well as printables, and links to over 50 more ways to play with babies and toddlers – all for $8.99.
Don’t miss any of our simple play ideas – sign up for our free newsletter here..